Boat security advice
18 October 2012
Police in West Norfolk are urging boat owners to take extra
security measures after a spate of thefts in the Downham Market
Five boats moored in the Hilgay and Southery areas have been
It s believed the thefts all happened overnight between
Monday 15 and Tuesday 16 October.
Several outboard motors were taken, along with a generator from
one boat and various items from inside the cabins.
Anyone who may have seen anything suspicious in the area at the
time is asked to contact officers at Downham Market police station
on 101 or call Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.
Officers are reminding boat owners to take steps to secure their
property, with the following advice:
- Don t leave anything loose on deck.
- Always put any valuables in a strong, fixed locker and secure
with a quality padlock.
- Take your personal and vessel papers with you don t leave
them on board.
- Make sure your curtains are closed so no-one can look in.
- Maker sure that your life raft and outboard motor are secure,
as these are valuable and attractive to thieves.
- If you re leaving your boat on a trailer for the winter,
consider removing the road wheels and putting it on blocks.
- Keep your list of serial numbers up to date.
Officers from your local Safer Neighbourhood Team may be able to
security mark your outboard motor, much like cycle marking.
Please contact them on 101 for further