Spare to the heir: A recent history of siblings in the British royal family
The Duchess of Cambridge has given birth to a daughter1, Britain s newest addition to the royal family. The new baby will become fourth in line to the throne2 behind brother George, father William, and grandfather Charles. (Girls and boys were made equal in succession to the throne3 in 2011.)
Being the sibling of the future king or queen of the UK has not always been the easiest. Here is our take on the some the recent players in the royal family who were born a few years too late:
Probably the most famous royal sibling ever, due to his unlikely ascension to the throne and his stammer, both of which were captured in the Oscar-winning film, The King s Speech.
His older brother, Edward, became king in 1936 but then abdicated to marry a divorc e.
George VI took the throne after Edward s 11-month reign and ruled during the Second World War, ruling until his death in 1952. He was the last monarch to rule while Britain was an empire. Though George wasn t the only spare to reach the throne4.
After King George VI s death, his daughter, Elizabeth, took to the throne.
She had only one sibling, Margaret, who wanted to marry Peter Townsend in 1952 when her sister had just become queen. But the government and the Church of England once again felt the divorced army captain would be unsuitable, and she was forced to cancel the wedding5 in public.
Princess Margaret in Rome in 1959.(AP Photo/Mario Torrisi)
She ended up marrying a photographer in 1960, and the marriage lasted 18 years. She never remarried until her death in 2002.
Her sad story embodies many of the difficulties of being a modern member of the royal family.
It is not easy being a royal family member and being involved in private industry, but Queen Elizabeth s son has not made it easy for himself. He earned the nickname Air Miles Andy for his frequent luxurious trips around the world to see the autocrat in charge of Azerbaijan6, as well as meeting Libya s former leader Colonel Gaddafi and selling his home for more than the asking price7 to the president of Kazakhstan s son-in-law. His various controversial visits to dubious regimes forced him out of his role as the UK s official trade envoy8.
Prince Andrew.(David Parker/Daily Mail via AP)
His marriage and subsequent divorce from Sarah Ferguson has also raised eyebrows as did the fact that they were able to afford to buy a luxury chalet in Switzerland worth up to $20 million together11.
Rarely has the phrase red-headed stepchild felt so apt.
William s brother now demoted in the line of succession by the birth of his nephew and niece has made a name for himself as a party animal, most famously when nude pictures of him partying in Las Vegas in 201312 showed up.
- ^ has given birth to a daughter (www.dailymail.co.uk)
- ^ in line to the throne (www.bbc.co.uk)
- ^ equal in succession to the throne (www.bbc.co.uk)
- ^ reach the throne (www.bbc.co.uk)
- ^ cancel the wedding (news.bbc.co.uk)
- ^ the autocrat in charge of Azerbaijan (www.independent.co.uk)
- ^ selling his home for more than the asking price (www.dailymail.co.uk)
- ^ UK s official trade envoy (www.express.co.uk)
- ^ being a part of sex parties (www.dailymail.co.uk)
- ^ were struck from the record in a federal lawsuit (www.theguardian.com)
- ^ worth up to $20 million together (www.bbc.co.uk)
- ^ nude pictures of him partying in Las Vegas in 2013 (www.mirror.co.uk)
- ^ nights out in London (blog.hostelbookers.com)
- ^ finding time to have fun (www.dailymail.co.uk)