09 Tuesday Feb 2016
Comments Off on Christopher Martin Manchester
Rapist jailed 30 years on from attack after victim confronted him and said: Do you remember me?
A rapist s secret past came back to haunt him 30 years on after his victim confronted him in front of his family and said: Do you remember me?
Christopher Martin offered to walk his schoolgirl victim home from a social club in south Manchester in 1980.
Instead of getting the then 15-year-old home safely, he marched her into a park and subjected her to a violent rape.
Martin, 51, a landscape gardener of Bethnall Drive, Fallowfield, went on to live what the sentencing judge called a care-free life.
Meanwhile, the victim, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was so traumatised by the attack that she felt unable to report it to the police at the time and kept her silence for more than 30 years.
The only person she ever confided in was her best friend at the time of the attack.
But in 2013 the woman spotted Martin a number of times and finally went to police and told them of her ordeal.
The first time she saw him was June 2013 at the Didsbury Festival in Didsbury Park where he was enjoying himself with his family.
She approached him and said: Are you Chris Martin. Do you remember me? and then ran off.
Days later she saw him again at a Didsbury pub in what the sentencing judge described as a moment of truth encounter.
She later went to police.
Martin denied rape in a Manchester Crown Court trial, saying he was the victim of mistaken identity and that he had never met the victim.
The jury did not believe him and he has now been jailed for seven years.
Martin s barrister said he had lived a very ordinary, unremarkable, blameless life , working consistently and caring for his elderly parents and disabled older brother.
She said: He has two very small children.
Those two children are of an age where they will notice their father is no longer present.
The two children inevitably will feel the consequences of the custodial sentence which is imposed upon Mr Martin.
The court heard Martin swore at his weeping victim, who was repeatedly slapped around the face as she tried to fight him off during the midnight attack.
She was left covered in blood , and was abandoned by him after begging him not to leave her in the dark, isolated corner of the park on her own.
Just minutes earlier, she had placed her trust in him by agreeing to walk home with him.
She was excited at the prospect of being walked home by you , said Judge David Stockdale QC, sentencing.
She thought you were something of a catch, and that your offer meant an indication that you were interested in her.
As it turned out you were interested in her, but in all the wrong ways.
Police said the victim finally had the courage to come forward after seeing him again and reading in the press about a number of historic rape cases.
Martin was also ordered to sign the sex offenders register for life.
After the case, Detective Constable Laura Hughes said: The victim was so scared after she had been raped that she felt she could not report it to the police.
However recently she saw Martin a number of times and her memories of the attack came back to her and this along with the media reports regarding historic rapes gave her the confidence to come forward and report the incident to the police.
I would like to praise her for having the courage to come forward and speak to us over three decades after the attack happened.
I hope that this sentence provides some encouragement to other people who may have been victims of this sort of abuse to report it to the police.
At around 9:40pm on Friday night in Paris, a sold-out concert by the American band Eagles of Death Metal turned into a bloodbath. Three black-clad gunmen armed with Kalashnikov rifles stormed into the Bataclan theater, shouted “Allahu akbar!” and opened fire.
“When they started shooting, we just saw flashes,” one concertgoer told France’s BFM-TV. “People got down on the ground right away. It was all dark.”
Footage recorded from inside the venue shows the band rocking out then ducking for cover as the pop-pop-pop of machine gun fire erupts offscreen.
“It lasted for 10 minutes, 10 minutes, 10 horrific minutes when everybody was on the floor covering their heads and we heard so many gunshots, and the terrorists were very calm, very determined, and they reloaded three or four times their weapons,” Julien Pearce, a radio reporter who was inside the theater, told CNN.
Some witness said the gunmen threw grenades into the crowd, the New York Times reported.
One graphic video showed people rushing out the back door of the theater into an alley. Some bodies could be seen lying on the ground motionless. Others trapped on the upper floors of the building clung desperately to window ledges, dangling several floors above the pavement below.
A total of 89 people were killed in the attack.
Across Paris, coordinated attacks at the Stade de France, a restaurant, and a bar left 129 people dead and more than 300 injured.
Benjamin Cazenoves, a Frenchman inside the concert at the time of the attack posted to Twitter, describing “carnage” and “bodies everywhere.” He posted another message that said “Pray for us.” Cazenoves posted an update3 the following morning saying he had survived.
Harrowing footage taken from outside the venue by photographer Patrick Zachmann showed police who responded to the scene scrambling to avoid gunfire from the attackers.
At around 10pm, took several hostages and began a standoff with police that lasted for nearly two hours. At approximately 12:15am, the police stormed the theater. The siege ended with explosions and a hail of bullets.
Police fatally shot one of the attackers.
The other three detonated suicide vests.
Universal, the music label for Eagles of Death Metal, later issued a statement saying all members of the band were safe and unharmed. Nick Alexander, the band’s 37-year-old merchandise manager, was among those killed4.
With four people now in custody for their connection to the TalkTalk hack, we are starting to learn more and more about what actually happened. After a couple of weeks of speculation as to how much data was stolen, we now know that 157,000 customers of the ISP had their details stolen, with 15,600 full bank account numbers and sort codes taken, alongside personal data like email addresses, phone numbers and more.
As far as obscured/encrypted information goes, the credit and debit card numbers of 28,000 customers were accessed. As far as personal information goes, names, addresses, dates of birth, telephone numbers and email addresses were taken, though passwords remain safe.
Right now, three teenagers have been arrested and searched in connection with the attack, along with one 20 year old man.
All four people were spread out across the UK and according to TalkTalk s own investigation, it believes these details were taken in order to start a larger scam, in order to trick customers in to handing over bank account data.
Those on TalkTalk should be wary of any emails or phone calls for the next few weeks. Those who were affected by the attack should be contacted soon, though TalkTalk has yet to get around to everyone.
KitGuru Says: This TalkTalk attack has been quite the story over the last couple of weeks. I know a couple of our readers have been using TalkTalk and aren t pleased about the situation.
Were any of you affected by the attack at all?
12 Flares Google+ 1 11 Reddit 0 StumbleUpon 0 Email — Facebook 0 12 Flares 3