• Uncategorised
  • 0

Norwell: Man Arrested in Police Standoff Faces Prior Rape Charges …

Updated 1/12/16:

A 30-year-old Norwell man is facing several charges in connection with a Norwell standoff that began on Monday (Jan.

11th) around 2:45 p.m.

Norwell Police said Ryan Palmer, of 89 Stetson Road had barricaded himself in the attic after attempting to set the kitchen on fire.

He was uncooperative and was removed from the residence by the Metro-LEC team at around 8:15 p.m.

Palmer was taken to South Shore Hospital, then taken to Norwell s Police Station for booking and then to the house of correction in Plymouth.

Palmer was denied bail. He is charged with arson of a dwelling, threats to commit a crime and malicious destruction of property.

Palmer has been in trouble with the law before, including in 2012, when Wareham Detectives charged the then 27-year-old with aggravated statutory rape of a child. Palmer reportedly met the teen online, then went to the girl s home and had a sexual encounter with her.



An hours-long police standoff at a home in Norwell ended around 8:15 p.m.

Monday (Jan.

11), with an ambulance leaving the scene.

Police officers and firefighters from Norwell and multiple agencies, including the State Police and MetroLec SWAT, responded and surrounded a home at 89 Stetson Road in Norwell around 3:45 p.m. Monday and spent hours in a standoff with a suspect barricaded inside.

Just before 8:30 p.m. reports indicated one suspect was in custody.

Police blocked off the road to traffic until around 10 p.m.

One neighbor informed WATD he had been told by police this was a family issue and neighbors should not be alarmed.

WATD s Larry Nelson, reporting from the scene, said he heard gunshots around 7:30 p.m., but then all was quiet.

Media outlets were instructed to North River Community Theater Building for a briefing on the situation, however no law enforcement officials have arrived for that briefing as of 9 p.m.

Norwell Police issued the following statement at 9:24 p.m.:

On Monday, January 11, 2016 at 2:52 pm, Norwell Police and Fire Departments responded to E-911 calls reporting a structure fire at a residence on Stetson Road. An initial investigation was conducted and it was decided to call for additional police resources to respond to the scene to address the situation safely for everyone involved. The suspect, who is also a resident in the home, barricaded himself in the home and refused to cooperate with authorities.

Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council (METRO-LEC) was called to assist us at the scene for added support with the additional officers who have the proper equipment and training for an emergency incident response. Hanover Police Department also assisted at the scene with traffic restrictions. Mass State Police Bomb Squad was called to the scene at the direction of METRO-LEC for their equipment resources.

Abutting neighbors were evacuated as a safety precaution. A resident in the home was taken into custody at approximately 8:15 pm. The incident is still actively under investigation.

Identification of the suspect and a list of charges will follow when complete.

There will be no further comment at this time.

Norwell: Man Arrested In Police Standoff Faces Prior Rape Charges ...

Photo by Ryan Stanton / WATD


You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *