Objections to new homes scheme on former Pontins site

14:17 05 March 2016

By Kieran Lynch1

Objections To New Homes Scheme On Former Pontins Site

The Former Hemsby Pontins Holiday camp.


A parish council plans to re-iterate its objections for a 200-home estate on a former holiday centre site.

On Tuesday, planners will be recommended to approve the housing plans for the former Pontin s site in Hemsby – at the fourth time of asking.

Previous applications, the most recent from Persimmon, were rejected.

Hemsby Parish Council is continuing to object though citing concern the new homes are to be built in a prime holiday area at a time when the village s holiday trade has been described to be struggling .

The plans put forward by landowners Northern Trust, would see 200 homes being built on the 21-acre site, with two acres allocated for commercial use. The site is currently derelict with wildlife running freely.

Parish council chairman Keith Kyriacou said: The parish council has launched its objections to the plans and I know many villagers feel very strongly about it as well.

At the moment the holiday trade is struggling and what they are building on is prime holiday land.

Currently we do not have the infrastructure in place. Just last week, I received a call from several parishioners who had gone to the only doctors in the village and they had to queue outside.

When you have to queue outside the doctors surgery you know there is something wrong.

If this does go through we will fight for what we in Hemsby want, whether that is street lighting, burial grounds or anything else.

My Kyriacou expressed concerns that should the homes get borough council approval, it could lead to a further large influx of new homes in the village.

Hemsby parish clerk, Shirley Weymouth, said that the parish council s objections included;

The site being a prime holiday area which would require a change of use.

The council was concerned if this was approved it would set a precedent for other prime holiday areas in Hemsby or across the borough having this protection removed

Infrastructure which was not adequate to cope with the increase of population or traffic

A lack of educational facilities to cope with extra places for children

fact that there was only one medical centre in the village which Cllr Weymouth said was already struggling with a high number of patients

Where new residents will find work in an area which is mainly in the tourism sector

Northern Trust stepped in towards the end of 2014 after proposals by developers Persimmon to build 250 homes were pulled by the firm.

The Pontins site has been derelict since its closure in 2009, which caused the loss of 55 jobs in the village.

The 200 homes proposed in the plans would include a mixture of detached, semi-detached and terraced homes, along with commercial units.


  1. ^ By Kieran Lynch (www.greatyarmouthmercury.co.uk)

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *